1959 Porsche 356A Sunroof Coupe
During WWII, allied bombing forced the Porsche Design Works to relocate from Stuttgart, Germany, to Gmünd, Austria. It was there, in Gmünd, that they built what would become the first cars to bear the Porsche name and symbol. In 1948, 50 were built by hand in a barn using borrowed VW parts. Thus the 356 was born and with it the ongoing legacy of the Porsche brand.
By the early 1950s Porsche Works returned to Stuttgart and began the production of improved, modernized versions of their original “Gmünd” Coupes. 1950-’54 saw the production of the “Pre-A” 356 with a 1.1, 1.3, or 1.5 liter engine and still using a VW rear axle. In 1955 the 356 Type A was introduced with a modernized rounded windshield, improved suspension, and bigger tires. This better-handling version became very popular in the United States.
Our 1959 Porsche 356A is a bit of an “outlaw”. With deleted mirrors, bumper overriders, and trim, it has a much sleeker, race-style look. A Sebring race exhaust and a specially built 1.6-liter four-cylinder engine from a 912 provide it with 150 horsepower rather than the original 75.